Window treatments in your home make for a polished and well-rounded look that enhances any room they’re placed in. Whether your windows are dressed with drapes, curtains, shutters or blinds, your Calgary home gains not only privacy and protection from the sun, but a refined finish as well. But over time, dust, dirt, mildew and mould can replace sophistication and charm with seediness and squalor. The best way to keep your space bright and cheery is through a combination of monthly dusting and annual deep cleaning. Depending on what window treatments you have, the method will vary. We at Sheila’s Drapery recommend the following approaches.
Monthly Cleaning Recommendations
Just like elsewhere in your home, frequently ridding your drapes, blinds and shutters of dust will improve the air quality in your Calgary abode. It will also ensure your window treatments continue to look great. Most dressings can be cleaned quite simply by using the dust-brush tool attachment on your vacuum. As long as the vacuum is adjusted to the lowest possible suction setting you can clean the following using this method.
- Fabric shades
- Fabric vertical blinds
- Honeycomb shades
- Pleated shades
- Solar shades
- Wood blinds and shutters
- Woven wood and bamboo shades
- Venetian and vertical blinds
- Drapery (just swap out the dust-brush for an upholstery attachment)
Annual or Biannual Cleaning Recommendations
For best results, a deeper cleaning is necessary to keep your window treatments looking their best. Here’s the best method for each type.
- Fabric shades need to be dry-cleaned.
- Fabric vertical blinds should be cleaned using an ultrasonic technique. You’ll need to hire a professional for this job.
- Honeycomb shades should be cleaned using an injection/ extraction method. This job is also one for the pros.
- Solar shades, Venetian blinds, vertical blinds, wood blinds, wood shutters, woven wood shades, and bamboo shades can all be cleaned with a damp cloth and mild detergent. Simply wipe down the surface to clean. Make sure to avoid harsh cleaners as they can damage the finish on these types of window treatments. For any shutter or shade made of wood or bamboo, avoid using any soap cleaner and dry the blinds off afterwards with a clean absorbent cloth.
- Drapery and curtains can in many cases be laundered in your washing machine and hung to dry. Check the care tags to be sure, as some fabrics are dry-clean only.
When your old window treatments just won’t do…
If you’re looking for a change or doing a remodel in your Calgary home, Sheila’s Drapery has an extensive collection of shutters, blinds and drapery to choose from. Custom window treatments are also an option. One of our window treatment consultants will be happy to help when you stop in at our new location on 11th Avenue. Call us with your questions or just stop by Monday through Saturday. We look forward to assisting you.